An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article Display
NEWS | Jan. 22, 2021

Dependents, retirees to get new ID cards

By Senior Airman Anthony Nin Leclerec 633rd Air Base Wing Public Affairs

Military dependents, retirees and their family members will receive Next Generation Uniformed Services Identification (USID) as they renew or replace their IDs over the next five years.

The new card has enhanced security features when compared to its paper-based predecessor, and is more durable. It is similar to the common access card (CAC) used by military and DoD personnel, but without the chip.

The underlying technology on the new card supports all the improvements planned for the future, providing the foundation to add new features and benefits as they become available.

“If an individual has a qualifying-expired ID card, it’s good until June this year,” said Tyrone Fuller, 733rd Force Support Squadron chief of military personnel branch. “That said, it doesn’t mean they can’t call now to get an ID card.”

Fuller said although there is no need rush to get a new card, it is unwise to postpone ID card renewal until June. The extension was due to the limited amount of personnel allowed in the same workplace at the same time while also considering the people they’ll be serving during the COVID-19 pandemic. So, as appointments need to be spaced out people should schedule sooner rather than later and be patient with the date given.

“If you can’t get an appointment at Fort Eustis then check for availability at different sites like Yorktown, Langley, Naval Weapons Station or other,” said Leilana Gates, 733rd FSD human resources specialist for military personnel branch. “There is a limit of 10 people in the waiting area, so all of the DoD installations are done by appointment.”

The ten people in the waiting area includes everyone in the family, so it could be a good idea to plan out accordingly who actually needs to be at the appointment.

It’s also good to understand where you can go.

“People don’t need to go to the service they belong or belonged to,” said Fuller. “Military IDs belong to Department of Defense, it is not service specific so retirees and military families can get them at any of our sites.”

To get a USID you must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and go to a RAPIDS site with your completed DD Form 1172-2 and two forms of identification, including a state or federal government photo ID. Newly married military spouses should bring their marriage certificate. Children under 18 will need proof of relationship to their military sponsor, like a birth certificate, to get their USID. You may require additional documentation depending on your eligibility or circumstances.

For links to information, locations and phone numbers, visit