An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article Display
NEWS | Jan. 23, 2019

Tax centers assist service members and families

By Senior Airman Tristan Biese 633rd Air Base Wing Public Affairs

Tax centers at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, will begin offering tax filing services to active duty service members, retirees and dependents starting Jan. 28, 2019.

Both offices will be open Mondays through Thursdays each week. However, the Langley Air Force Base office will be open from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. until April 18, 2019, and the Fort Eustis office will be open from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. until April 15, 2019.

According to U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Olivia McKinsey, 633rd Air Base Wing Judge Advocate paralegal, active duty service members below the rank of E-5 and their dependents will be given priority during the first week. The Langley office, located at the Education Center, will be by appointment only each week.

The Ft. Eustis office, located at 2733 Madison Ave., will be available for walk-ins Mondays and Wednesdays, and appointments only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

 “What we do is similar to what individuals who file their taxes online do, except we have individuals trained to assist with basic [tax information] for people who are uncomfortable or don’t want to file taxes on their own,  said Philip McCollum, 633rd Air Base Wing Judge Advocate legal assistance attorney.

The tax offices will not be able to assist individuals with small businesses, rental property and individuals with a gross income that exceeds $100,000 or a combined total of $150,000 for a married couple.

Before filing taxes, individuals should bring:

- Social security cards and date of birth for all persons listed on return

- Military ID/government photo ID

- All W-2, 1099 (DIV, T, INT R) and 1098 forms

- Last year's federal and state income tax returns
- Child care provider's social security number or EIN plus address
- Itemized deductions

- IRA contributions/distributions

- Student loan payments/college tuition expenses

- Alimony payments with social security number of recipient
- Void check (for direct deposit)
- Power of attorney