RETIREMENT SERVICES OFFICER
0730 – 1630 Monday - Friday
Office Phone: 757-878-3648 Office Fax: 757-878-4406 DSN: 826-3648
Closed all Federal Holidays
Provides information and services on benefits and entitlements to active duty Soldiers and families preparing for retirement and also to retirees and families.
Survivor Benefit Plan: Individual Soldier call (757) 878-3648 for an appointment.
- Coordinates, conducts, and facilitates detailed periodic Pre-Retirement group briefings for all retiring Soldiers (highly encourages Family Members to attend).
- Counsels Soldiers and Family Members concerning retirement rights, benefits, and privileges.
- Conducts one-on-one SBP counselling for all retiring Soldiers, and their Family Members.
- Conducts one-on-one (desk-side) Pre-Retirement briefings as needed.
- Assists retiring Soldiers and Family Members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel).
- Process the DD Form 2656 electronically using TRANSPROC to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL).
- Assist retiring RC Soldiers and Family members with completion of the retirement application to include to include – DD Form 108 (Application for Retired Pay Benefits), DD Form 2656, SF Form 1199A (Direct Deposit Sign-up Form), and DD Form 2656-5, if the RC Soldier deferred RCSBP election to age 60.
POST RETIREMENT SERVICES:
- Counsels and assists survivors of retired Soldiers, and Soldiers who die on active duty regarding their SBP options and entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections, which includes counselling on Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and its relationship to SBP.
- Publishes mails retiree newsletters at least annually.
- Publishes periodic articles for installation and local newspapers.
- Conducts an annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD).
- Provides information and filing assistance for the "Annuities for Certain Military Surviving Spouses" - or ACMSS, also known as "Forgotten Widows".
- Provides information and assistance to Soldiers, spouses, and former spouses regarding the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act (USFSPA).
- Assists/advises retired Soldiers in understanding and applying for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC).
- Provides information to retired Soldiers on Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP).
- Assists retired Soldiers and Family Members in obtaining: copies of lost documents (i.e. DD Form 214, retirement orders, and medical records); re-issuance of military awards; and issuance of military ID cards.
- REQUEST YOUR DD 214
- Provides retired Soldiers and their families with information and referrals on a myriad of other benefit entitlements including Veterans Affairs (VA), TRICARE medical dental; Social Security Medicare benefits; and others.
OTHER POST-RETIREMENT SERVICES AVAILABLE:
The following services are provided using the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Cleveland (DF AS-CL) Defense Retired Annuity Pay System (DRAS):
0730 – 1630 Monday - Friday
- Process retirement applications.
- Process retirement orders.
- Publish DD Form 214.
- Provide Pre-retirement counseling.