Colonel Jason Hinds is the Commander of the 1st Fighter Wing, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He is responsible for the worldwide rapid deployment and employment of F-22 air dominance fighters in support of Combatant Commander taskings. He oversees 1,400 personnel, two airfields, two groups and six squadrons, including two F-22 fighter squadrons and a T-38 fighter training squadron.
Col Hinds received his commission from the Florida State University in 1996. He was a distinguished graduate of Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance AFB, Oklahoma in 1997 and a distinguished graduate of F-15 Replacement Training Unit in 1998 at Tyndall AFB, Florida. He has held a variety of flying positions to include: F-22 fighter squadron commander, F-22 instructor pilot and flight examiner, F-15C instructor pilot and Weapons Officer, and Weapons School Instructor. Additionally, he was a Legislative Fellow from 2009-2010 and graduated from the National War College in 2014. Colonel Hinds served as the Senior Air Force Advisor to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Strategy and Force Development, Office of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy. In his previous assignment, Col Hinds was the Vice Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nevada.
1996 Bachelors of Science in Criminology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command Staff College, Correspondence
2008 Masters of Business Administration and Management, Trident University, Los Angeles
2010 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington D.C.
2012 Air War College, Correspondence
2014 Masters of National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington D.C.
1. May 1996 - September 1997, student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. December 1997 - June 1998, student, F-15C Formal Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. June 1998 - May 2001, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 60th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. May 2001 - December 2002, F-15C Instructor Pilot, Academic Instructor, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. January 2003 - June 2003, student, U.S. Air Force F-15C Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. June 2003 - June 2004, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. June 2004 - September 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, Flight Commander, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 433rd Weapons Squadron, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. September 2006 - December 2006, student, F-22 Formal Training Unit, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. December 2006 - July 2009, Assistant Director of Operations, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, F-22 Instructor Pilot, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
10. July 2009 - December 2010, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Office of Congressman Allen Boyd, Washington D.C.
11. January 2011 - March 2011, student, F-22 Formal Training Unit, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB Fla.
12. April 2011 - January 2012, Director of Operations, 27th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
13. February 2012 - June 2013, Commander, 94th Fighter Squadron, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
14. July 2013 - June 2014, student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2014 - April 2016, Senior Air Force Advisor for Force Development, Office of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, Washington, D.C.
16. May 2016 - June 2017, Vice Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
17. June 2017 - present, Commander, 1st Fighter Wing, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014 - April 2016, Senior Air Force Advisor for Force Development, Office of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flying hours: 2,200
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38B, F-22, and F-15C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal Joint Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with 6 oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Commander In Chief’s Installation Excellence Award
19th Air Force Air-to-Air Fighter Pilot Instructor of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 30, 1996
First Lieutenant April 30, 1998
Captain April 30, 2000
Major March 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel August 1, 2015
(Current as of March 2018)