Col. Mark D. Piper is Commander of the 192nd Wing, Virginia Air National Guard, at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He is responsible for ensuring the readiness of more than 1,300 Airmen in the execution of multiple federal and state missions to include the F-22 Raptor, intelligence (distributed common ground system), cyber operations, civil engineering (RED HORSE), security forces, and Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear and Explosive Response Force Package (CERFP).
Colonel Piper received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1995. He served 11 years on active duty as an F-16 instructor and evaluator pilot in various units in Pacific Air Forces, Air Combat Command, and Air Education and Training Command. Since joining the ANG, he has served in both traditional and full-time roles. In addition to squadron and group command, the colonel served as a branch and division chief at the National Guard Bureau. He has deployed to the U.S. Central Command Area of Responsibility six times in both flying and staff-based roles.
He is a command pilot with more than 2,400 hours in fighter aircraft to include over 300 combat hours in support of Operations Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. He previously commanded the 113th Operations Group (F-16C, C-40) supporting ACC and Air Mobility Command missions including air defense of the National Capital Region, expeditionary combat air power and executive airlift. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the Joint Staff liaison to the Federal Emergency Management Agency at the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Behavioral Sciences, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft. Lesley McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Joint Commander Training Course, Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2018 Dual Status Commander Course, Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2019 General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. June 1995–April 1996, Administrative Assistant, Department of Athletics, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. April 1996–May 1997, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. May 1997–June 1998, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Arizona
4. June 1998–June 1999, Chief of Training, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. June 1999–September 2002, Evaluator/Instructor Pilot, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, Assistant Chief of Weapons, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
6. September 2002–September 2003, Flight Commander, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
7. September 2003–July 2006, Chief of Scheduling, Chief of Programmed Flying Training, Assistant Operations Officer, 310th Fighter Squadron and 56th Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. July 2006–July 2008, Assistant Chief of Weapons, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 121st Fighter Squadron, District of Columbia Air National Guard, JB Andrews, Md.
9. July 2008–June 2010, Chief, Advanced Programs, 113th Wing, DCANG, JB Andrews, Md.
10. June 2010–June 2012, Director of Operations, 121st Fighter Squadron, DCANG, JB Andrews, Md.
11. June 2012–July 2013, Commander, 121st Fighter Squadron, DCANG, JB Andrews, Md.
12. July 2013–September 2014, Chief, Combat Forces Branch (NGB/A8PC), ANG Readiness Center, JB Andrews, Md.
13. October 2014–June 2015, Chief, Force Planning and Basing Division (NGB/A8F), ANG Readiness Center, JB Andrews, Md.
14. June 2015–June 2016, Commander, 113th Operations Group, DCANG, JB Andrews, Md.
15. July 2016–July 2017, Student, National War College, Ft. Lesley McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2017–July 2019, Joint Staff liaison to FEMA, Operations Directorate (J35), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. August 2019–Present, Commander, 192nd Wing, VaANG, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2017–July 2019: Joint Staff liaison to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Operations Directorate (J35), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,400 including over 300 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37/38/41, F-16, F-22
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with three bronze stars
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major July 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 14, 2009
Colonel Oct. 21, 2014
(Current as of August 2019)