JOINT BASE LANGLEY-EUSTIS, Va. —
In accordance with Joint Base Langley-Eustis command, all personnel with nonclassified internet protocol (NIPR) system access are required to register and activate their AtHoc icon upon arrival to the installation.
AtHoc is an emergency mass notification system that provides multiple crisis and mass notification capabilities.
“The program helps JBLE Airmen, Soldiers and Civilians communicate and collaborate during any unforeseen real world or manmade crisis or emergencies, said Kevin Castro, JBLE Command Post chief. “During crisis incidents, for example an Active Shooter, those who are at their facility work stations will receive a desktop message-banner notifying the user of an impending or ongoing crisis.”
For installation personnel who cannot connect directly to AtHoc, the JBLE CP can create a user account, or up to five accounts per unit. The system will then be able to send notifications to the phone number or e-mail provided.
“This will allow us to make an account either for the specific user, or more generally a building or e-mail address that will receive the phone call or e-mail notification,” said Castro. “The users will be unable to receive the Desktop Pop-up, but they will be able to receive phone calls or e-mails from the system.”
For users able to connect through their desktop, follow the steps below to activate your notifications:
1. Press the "show hidden icons" up arrow on the task bar at the bottom of your computer screen. It should be on the lower right. It will look like a small arrow pointing up to the left of the clock/date in the bottom right.
2. In the window displayed from this, locate the "purple globe" icon. This is the AtHoc icon. If you hover over the icon it should say "Langley AFB [powered] by AtHoc"
3. Right click the purple globe and select "Access Self Service" from the menu displayed. This will open a website in your web browser.
4. The website will open in the "Inbox", this will be displayed at the top left of the page. Click the "My Profile" option to the right of the "Inbox".
5. On the "My Profile" page, click the purple "EDIT" button near the top right of the page.
6. At this point, be sure to fill in all options marked with a * to the right of them. Some of these options will be pre-filled by the system. DO NOT change the already filled options.
7. For the hierarchy find the option titled "JBLE *" and click the purple / next to it. A smaller window with options will be available.
8. For Ft. Eustis personnel, select the JBLE option then select the Ft. Eustis option. Find your department or organization in the list and click the circle next to it. Then hit "Apply" in the bottom right of the small window.
9. Once you have all the options with * filled in press the purple "Save" Button in the top right.
Once users activate an account, Castro recommends they download the free AtHoc notification App available on both Android and Apple devices using the code JBLE.
In addition to being available to Service members and Department of Defense civilians, the App is also available for family members and can be shared on three separate devices. The e-mail used to download the App must be the same as the one used for initial registration because that e-mail verifies the user.
“With this mobile-App, alerts can be sent with videos, images, text and maps,” said Castro. “One of the desired end states of these efforts is to improve mass warning and alert notification capabilities to all military personnel, their dependents, and civilians.”
The App also has an option to disconnect from one organization code and connect to another, which can be applied for both permanent and temporary duty station changes.
For help with registering and/or installing the App, call the JBLE CP at 764-5411 or 225-6054.