Colonel Clinton A. Ross is the Commander, 633d Air Base Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. As the Joint Base Commander, he commands three groups, providing installation support to more than 18,000 Air Force and Army personnel, including Headquarters Air Combat Command, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, four operational wings, eight brigades, and more than 20 major associate units. Colonel Ross is also responsible for providing mission-ready expeditionary Airmen to combatant commanders in support of joint and combined operations worldwide.
Originally from Arkadelphia, Arkansas, Colonel Ross commissioned as a graduate from the United States Air Force Academy. His career has varied in leadership and staff positions at the Wing, HQ Air Force, Defense Intelligence Agency, and the White House. He served in the East Wing as the Director of Administration for the White House Military Office and in the Pentagon as the Executive Officer to two different A1’s. He also served as the Vice Wing Commander of the 501st Combat Support Wing. Colonel Ross most recently served as the Director of Manpower, Personnel & Services for Air Combat Command Headquarters prior to his current position.
1991 New Mexico Military Institute
1995 Bachelor of Science in Human Factors Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy
1999 Master of Science in Operations Management, University of Arkansas
2007 Master of Science in Military Arts and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell, Air Force Base
2015 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington D.C.
1. Aug 1995 – Jun 1998, Deputy Chief College Scholarships and Deputy Chief of Personnel Programs, AFOATS, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2. Jun 1998 – July 1999, Squadron Section Commander, 16th Special Operations Supply Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
3. Jul 1999 – Sep 2000 Student Pilot, Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, and Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, Texas
4. Sep 2000 – Jun 2001, Chief of Customer Support and Military Personnel Flight Commander,11th Mission Support Group, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington D.C.
5. Jun 2001 – Jul 2004, Executive Officer to the President and Chief of Joint Military Personnel, Joint Military Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency
6. Jul 2004 – Aug 2006, Commander, Military Personnel Flight, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California (October 2005 – April 2006, Chief of Staff, Base Management Operations, Coalition Military Assistance Transition Team, Multi-National Security Transition Team-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq)
7. Aug 2006 – Jul 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
8. Jul 2007 – Jul 2009, Commander Mission Support Squadron, and Force Support Squadron, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
9. Jul 2009 – Jul 2012, Director of Administration, White House Military Office, White House
10. Jul 2012 – Jul 2013, Deputy Chief, Strategic Plans Division, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
11. Jul 2013 – Jul 2014, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
12. Jul 2014 – Jun 2015, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
13. Aug 2015 – Jun 2017, Vice Commander, 501st Combat Support Wing, RAF Alconbury, United Kingdom
14. Jun 2017 – Jun 2019, Director, Manpower, Personnel & Services, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia15.Jun 2019 - present, Commander, 633d Air Base Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. Jun 2001 – Jul 2004, Chief of Joint Military Personnel, Joint Military Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, as a Captain
2. October 2005 – April 2006, Chief of Staff, Base Management Ops, Coalition Military Assistance Transition Team, Multi-National Security Transition Team-Iraq, Baghdad, as a Major
3. Jul 2009 – Jul 2012, Director of Administration, White House Military Office, White House as a Lieutenant Colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 31 May, 1995
First Lieutenant 31 May, 1997
Captain 31 May, 1999
Major 1 Oct, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel 1 Jul, 2010
Colonel 1 Aug, 2015
(Current as of June 2019)