On order, the 53rd Transportation Battalion (MC) deploys to provide mission command for the centralized movement management of personnel, equipment, and materiel into, within and out of an area of responsibility through efficient use of all transportation modes and capabilities.
The 53rd Transportation Battalion was first constituted May 28, 1943 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 53rd Quartermaster Truck Battalion, and it was activated in North Africa June 22, 1943. It was reorganized May 22, 1944, and re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 53rd Quartermaster (Mobile).
The battalion was inactivated Nov. 12, 1945, in Germany. Then Aug. 1, 1946, the battalion was converted and re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 53rd Transportation Corps Truck Battalion when it was activated at Fort Sill, Okla. On May 3, 1949, the battalion was allotted to the Regular Army, and it was reorganized and re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 53rd Transportation Battalion at Kaiserslautern, Germany, April 1, 1953. Then, June 19, 1959, it was once again re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 53rd Transportation Battalion and remained so until it was inactivated Sept. 15, 1995.
The 53rd Transportation Battalion was reactivated Oct. 29, 1999, at Fort McPherson, Ga., as the active component augmentation to the Third Theater Movement Control Agency.
Deployments to the Southwest Asian Theater have increased in recent years. The areas of reception, staging, onward movement and integration have increased in size and scope, resulting in the need for a movement control battalion. Consequently, the 53rd Transportation Battalion (Movement Control) received new permanent orders Oct. 29, 1999, re-organizing it into the only CONUS-based active component Movement Control Battalion Headquarters (echelons above corps).
The battalion served in seven campaigns in World War II, including: Sicily (with Arrowhead), Naples-Foggia, Anzio (with Arrowhead), Rome-Arno, southern France (with Arrowhead), Rhineland, and central Europe. To date, the battalion has onward moved more than 80,000 troops and 30,000 pieces of cargo and equipment into the theater.
The battalion’s awards and Decoration include the Army Superior Unit Award, awarded in 1986 and 1990; The Meritorious Unit Citation was awarded in October 2004.