|COLONEL JOHN J. ALLEN JR.|
Colonel Allen is the 633rd Air Base Wing commander at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. As the Joint Base Commander, he commands three groups, providing installation support to more than 18,000 Air Force and Army personnel, including Headquarters Air Combat Command, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, three operational wings, two brigades and more than 20 major associate units. Colonel Allen is also responsible for providing mission-ready expeditionary Airmen to combatant commanders in support of joint and combined operations worldwide.
Colonel Allen was commissioned in 1990, following his graduation from Virginia Tech. He has commanded squadrons in Iraq and in the United States, a group in Afghanistan, and has served in a variety of squadron-level civil engineer assignments, and in assignments on a wing staff and at Headquarters Air Force.
1990 - Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, Va.
1997 - Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 - Master of Science, Engineering Management, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
2003 - Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2006 - Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 - Air War College (correspondence)
2010 - Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
- January 1992 - September 1995, Programmer and Readiness Flight Chief, 23rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
- December 1993 - March 1994, Civil Engineer, 4404th CES, King Abdul-Aziz AB, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- September 1995 - September 1996, Maintenance Engineer, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
- October 1996 - February 1998, Base Development Chief, 3rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- March 1998 - July 2000, Executive Officer, 3rd Wing, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- July 2000 - June 2003, International Environmental Program Manager and Legislative Affairs Program Manager, Office of the Civil Engineer, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
- June 2003 - July 2005, Operations Flight Commander, 1st Civil Engineer Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
- July 2005 - June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2006 - July 2007, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Balad AB, Iraq
- July 2007- July 2009, Commander, 28th Civil Engineer Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- July 2009 - June 2010, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
- June 2010 - July 2011, Chief, Programs Division, Office of the Civil Engineer, Headquarters Air Force, Washington D.C.
- August 2011 - March 2012, Commander, 577th Expeditionary Prime BEEF Group, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
- March 12 - August 2012, Commander, 1st Expeditionary Civil Engineer Group, Southwest Asia
- September 2012 - April 2013, Senior Military Assistant, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Installations, Environment & Logistics, Headquarters Air Force, Washington D.C.
- April 2013 - present, Commander, 633rd Air Base Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Bronze Star Medal, with one oak-leaf cluster
- Meritorious Service Medal, with four oak-leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal, with two oak-leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal, with one oak-leaf cluster
- Meritorious Unit Award, with two oak-leaf clusters
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, with two oak-leaf clusters
- Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
- National Defense Service Medal, with two oak-leaf clusters
- Southwest Asia Service Medal, with one oak-leaf cluster
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Iraq Campaign Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Korean Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant - January 15, 1992
First Lieutenant - July 7, 1993
Captain - July 7, 1995
Major - May 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel - March 01, 2006
Colonel - August 1, 2011